COVID-19 LIST as of 10/20/2020
Immediate Donation Needs
- Donations needed to support the continuation of services to our families (https://bridges2.org/donate-now/)
- Metro Cards for our families to still be able to get to work or to pick up the school meals
- Low denomination gift cards (7-11, Uber, Domino’s pizza, Target, Walmart, Visa/Mastercard, and Giant)*
- Laptops/tablets* (used are ok) for the shelter so the youth can do their schoolwork and parents can search for jobs/housing (delivery to admin offices)
- Cleaning supplies: (Lysol spray, sanitizers, magic erasers and other non-toxic cleaning supplies*)
- Refills of hand soap
- Disinfectant Wipes*
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Mops, brooms, buckets
- Clear large storage bins with lids
- Adult coloring books
- Sanitary napkins
- Can opener
- Hair Conditioner and shampoo*
- Twin fitted sheets and pillows*
- Blankets and twin sized comforters*
- Pots and pans
- Wash cloths*
- Ice trays
- Kitchen trash can (size 13 gallons)
- Lawn mower
- Body Wash
- Shower hooks and shower curtains*
- Toilet brushes
- Combs and brushes
- Kitchen utensils
- Women’s deodorant
- Groceries, to include:
- Water bottles
- Packaged healthy kid snacks (no prepared or open food please)
- Frozen packaged meals (such as bagel bites, pizza rolls, hot pockets, frozen waffles)
- Pancake mix and syrup*
- Microwaveable cup of soup/noodles (hot and spicy)
- Hot sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Sliced cheese
- Meat (hamburger, sandwich meat, chicken*, hot dogs*)
- Fruit gushers and fruit roll ups
- Gummy bears
- Capri Sun fruit drink pouches
- Kool Aid Jammers
- Oreo cookies and chocolate chips cookies
- Ramen noodles
*Bolded items are prioritized needs for the next 3-5 days
Drop Off Details:
For the safety of our families and staff, please sanitize as best possible prior to delivery.
Small denomination gift cards should be dropped off at 46 S. Glebe, Suite 201, Arlington, VA 22204 during normal business hours. Please seal them in an envelope with your name and email and slide them through the mailbox slot in the door.
The other items should be delivered to Bridges’ Shelter, Sullivan House at 3103 9th Road N, Arlington, VA 22201, 7 days a week from 7:30am – 7:30pm. There are social distance friendly bins behind the shelter in the parking lot by the back door.
Upon delivery, please call (703) 525-7177 and dial 0 to let the staff know you left a delivery outside.
For more questions, please call (703) 525-7177 x127.
As of March 2020, here is a list of additional needs:
- Garbage bags
- Dish sets
- Silverware sets
- Pots/pans sets
- Pillow cases
- Twin fitted sheets
- Healthy kids’ snacks
- Small denomination gift cards (preferably Visa or Mastercard)
- Metro SmarTrip cards
GUIDELINES FOR DONATING ITEMS
If you are donating an item that we need, we ask for new and like-new items for our families. If the items are stained, ripped, or heavily used, please consider donating the items to a different organization.
Click here to view our furniture donation guidelines.
Items may be dropped off at Sullivan House 7 days a week, between 7:30 AM and 7:00 PM. The address is 3103 9th Rd. N., Arlington, VA 22201.
Upon arrival, you will be asked to please fill out a donation receipt. It only takes a minute, and we thank you in advance! To assess the fair market value of your donated good(s), Goodwill has a great resource you can reference. Click here to learn more.
Bridges to Independence has very little storage space. Thus, we can only accept items that are immediate needs (list above) for our families.
We rarely accept clothing, furniture, appliances, toys, or stuffed animals.
- If you are interested in donating some of these options, please send a picture and details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least 72 hours for responses.
- Items should be like new or gently-used, free of rips, stains, or damage, and appropriately sized for a small apartment home.
- In order to coordinate furniture moves, we ask for at least four weeks of planning time. If you are looking to move the furniture faster, please consider one of our partners below.
- Have furniture you wish to donate soon?
- Have adult clothing you wish to donate? Please contact our partners at A-SPAN.
- Have children’s clothing you wish to donate? Please contact our partners at The Clothesline for Arlington Kids.
- Have toys you wish to donate? Please consider donating to Toys for Tots, as they do support the youth in Bridges programming with toys.
AMAZON WISH LIST
We invite you to visit our Amazon Wish List, a registry of items for our Sullivan House emergency shelter and the families we serve. Items purchased online will be shipped directly to the shelter. Please include your name, address and email when checking out so we can send you a thank-you! We hope you’ll check back often, new items are added frequently.
If you prefer to shop locally and drop off your donation – that would be great too!
Bridges to Independence gratefully accepts donations of cars, trucks, RVs and more through V-Dac, Vehicle Donations. Fill out the online form and your vehicle will be picked up at your convenience. They make it easy.
Please contact Christina Armstrong, Chief Philanthropic Partnerships Officer, via email at email@example.com or call 703-525-7177 x127 with additional questions.