GUIDELINES FOR DONATING ITEMS
Bridges to Independence has very little storage space. Thus, we can only accept items that are immediate needs for our families.
Clothing is rarely accepted at Bridges, though our partners do accept clothing donations on a regular basis. Please see below for more details.
For toy donations, please consider donating to Toys for Tots, as they do support the youth in Bridges programming with toys.
Furniture is accepted on an as-needed basis for families who are transitioning into their own homes. However, the process can take two to four weeks in most cases. If you can move the furniture, it will expedite the process. If you are unable to move the furniture, Bridges will coordinate with volunteers, though it is a lengthy process. If you need to donate your furniture immediately, we suggest considering A Wider Circle. Please see more details below.
If you are donating an item that we need, we ask for new and like-new items for our families. If the items are stained, ripped, or heavily used, please consider donating the items to a different organization.
Items may be dropped off at Sullivan House 7 days a week, between 7:30 AM and 7:00 PM. The address is 3103 9th Rd. N., Arlington, VA 22201.
Upon arrival, you will be asked to please fill out a donation receipt. It only takes a minute, and we thank you in advance! To assess the fair market value of your donated good(s), Goodwill has a great resource you can reference. Click here to learn more.
As of January 2020, here is a list of current needs:
- Pampers – 3, 4, 5
- Pull-up dipers
- Baby wipes
- Feminine products (napkins preferred)
- Laundry pods
- Laundry detergent (must be “HE,” high efficiency)
- Garbage bags
- Dish sets
- Pots/pans sets
- Towels & wash cloths
- Pillow cases
- Twin fitted sheets & flat sheets
- Healthy kids’ snacks
- Non-toxic cleaning supplies
- Paper products (toilet paper and paper towels)
- Toiletries (Must be new, full-size. We cannot accept travel-size products.)
- Small denomination gift cards (preferably Visa or Mastercard)
- Metro SmarTrip cards
AMAZON WISH LIST
We invite you to visit our Amazon Wish List, a registry of items for our Sullivan House emergency shelter and the families we serve. Items purchased online will be shipped directly to the shelter. Please include your name, address and email when checking out so we can send you a thank-you! We hope you’ll check back often, new items are added frequently.
If you prefer to shop locally and drop off your donation – that would be great too!
Bridges to Independence gratefully accepts donations of cars, trucks, RVs and more through V-Dac, Vehicle Donations. Fill out the online form and your vehicle will be picked up at your convenience. They make it easy.
do to our limited storage space…
We rarely accept clothing, furniture, appliances, toys, or stuffed animals.
- If you are interested in donating some of these options, please send a picture and details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least 72 hours for responses.
- Items should be like new or gently-used, free of rips, stains, or damage, and appropriately sized for a small apartment home.
- In order to coordinate furniture moves, we ask for at least four weeks of planning time. If you are looking to move the furniture faster, please consider one of our partners below.
- Have furniture you wish to donate soon? Please contact our partners at A Wider Circle.
- Have adult clothing you wish to donate? Please contact our partners at A-SPAN.
- Have children’s clothing you wish to donate? Please contact our partners at The Clothesline for Arlington Kids.
Please contact Christina Armstrong, Chief Philanthropic Partnerships Officer, via email at email@example.com or call 703-525-7177 x127 with an additional questions.